Friday, January 16, 2009

There Are Only Two Prot Warrior Tanking Specs - With and Without Deep Wounds

When it comes down to it, there are only two practical ways you can spec as a protection warrior.

- With Deep Wounds

- Without Deep Wounds

I -strongly- suggest with. If you like threat and/or damage, at virtually no cost, your looking to spec 15/3/51+2. Nothing I have points in there is optional, it is all delicious tanking goodness. The two extra points are where you can tweak it - to 2/2 Imp Spell Reflect if your doing Malygos, up Shield Spec to 4/5 if your want that little bit of physical mitigation, or 2/5 cruelty if you want to etch out a little more damage. (If you want, you can swing the two points from improved revenge into shield block also, but revenge is pretty sweet).

And then there is without. If your convinced you can't live without all the options from above (Imp Revenge, Shield Spec, Spell Reflect, Cruelty), then go 5/8/56. But your missing out, FYI.

When it comes down to it, your either in arms for 5 points, or for 15. There is no middle ground. And for fury, your in for somewhere between 3 and 8 points.

One of the first things I look at when I'm inspecting a warrior tank, is where those points are. I'm boggled by people that are 3/3 Imp HS, 3/3 Puncture, and 4+/5 Cruelty, when they could use those points in arms and get Deep Wounds - increasing their threat/damage by far, far more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd have to agree with you that Deep Wounds is Amazing. The first time I saw it proc off of Damage Shield I was sold. Especially when my mage tried to sheep the mob that I didn't want sheeped. I sincerely hope they don't nerf it but they're talking about it unforunately.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=14287209260&pageNo=4&sid=1#64

Anonymous said...

I also agree that Deep Wounds i great. However I decided to go with 5/5 Shield Specialization and leave out Vigilance. At first i really loved Vigilance, it was great to have a buff to throw at someone who didn´t watch their theat. But I realized when I got into heroics in WOTLK with my 5/8/58 spec that I almost always forgot to use Vigilance anyway. And I never had any real problems with holding aggro. Although I miss that I can´t use Vigilance on my healer when we are facing a boss that randomly charges.

I´ve been trying out the 15/3/53 spec for a few weeks now and I really enjoy it, and I don´t feel that my own ability to survive has become any worse. I´m also producing insaine amounts of threat with Impale/Deep Wounds and because of that I don´t miss Vigilance on one of the DPS:ers just to give me an extra threat boost. I also love when Thunderclap crits on multiple mobs for over 1k =)

What are your thoughts about leaving out Vigilace? Am I right or am I just being stupid? How are you using Vigilance? Do you always use it on one of the DPS:ers or are you using it on the OT to always be able to use taunt?

Finally I would just like to thank you Yakra for your amazing job on the "Theories on Tanking" and I really love your blog too =) I´ve been reading them both since I first started to level my Warrior. And you have really helped me a lot! This has been my first response to any of them, and I just want to say keep up the good work!